Insure your household contents properly

Insure your household contents properly

Choosing the right insurance for your home and possessions is really important. How would you replace everything in your house if it was destroyed or stolen? 

Home owner's vs home contents insurance

It’s easy to get confused between home contents insurance and home owner’s insurance. Home owner’s insurance, is sometimes called buildings insurance and covers the structure of your house and other immovable items such as your carpets and geyser.

Home contents insurance covers everything in your house which you will take with you should you ever decide to move. Basically, if you turn your house upside down, it should cover everything that falls out. This includes your furniture, kitchen appliances, linen, clothing, electrical equipment and jewellery. 

Insure your home contents properly

Most homeowners get insurance against damage or loss as a result of wind, water, hail, snow, fire, lightning, an explosion, burglary or theft.

When you calculate how much home contents insurance you’ll need, start by listing all your belongings and work out how much it would cost to replace them new. Re-evaluate your contents at least once a year to make sure you aren’t under-insured.

You should be aware that insurance companies set limits on valuable goods that fall under household contents. They will pay out a certain percentage of the total insured amount for a single item. That’s why you must specify expensive things like your wedding rings or laptop under all-risk cover to ensure you will be compensated for your loss. 

Did you know?

  1. Statistically one in three homes are underinsured by as much as 30%
  2. More geysers burst on a Monday than any other day of the week
  3. By combining your home contents, building and car insurance under a single policy you could qualify for a reduced premium. 

Why is one in every three homes underinsured?

Underinsurance happens when your insured value is less than the value of the actual contents of your home. In the event of a claim, your insurance will pay out on a pro-rata basis and you will receive less money than what it costs to replace your goods.

Sometimes homes are underinsured because policyholders forget to adjust their policies as they acquire new items or improve their home. For example, a home owner could install an expensive sound system but neglect to tell their insurer. If these improvements or items are not added to the policy, the home owner is unfortunately not covered.

Get help when you need it

When you have some trouble with your car, you’ll want to know you have the right cover. A burst geyser is no different. If you are a Santam policyholder, our SOS services offers you help in your home and on the road. For more information about our SOS services, click here. 

Save on your insurance costs

Most insurance companies will offer reduced insurance premiums if you combine your household contents and vehicle insurance with them.  Always check whether a combined insurance policy will cost you less than purchasing individual policies.

Many insurance companies, like Santam also decrease or waive your excess payment if you’ve opted to pay a slightly higher monthly insurance premium. 

Look after your house contents

Make sure understand and abide by any insurance policy requirements for your home. An alarm system, security gates and burglar bars are common policy requirements for home contents insurance. It’s your responsibility to ensure these systems are in good working order. Take the time to read through your policy documents. If you need advice on your home insurance contents, speak to your broker or contact us on 0860 444 444.

For 100 years, Santam has been in the business of protecting South Africa’s most important assets and valuables. We look beyond the facts in front of us to think about the lives that lie behind them. That’s why when things go wrong, our clients know they’re with the insurer that makes it right. This is the Santam way. Good and proper then. Good and proper now. Good and proper always.

Request a quote Find a broker