How can I protect myself against identity theft?
While some of these incidents may be as a result of sophisticated criminal activities beyond our control, we recommend that you safeguard your belongings by:
- Storing your ID and passport in a safe place.
- Keeping your pin number in a safe place or even better, memorising it and never sharing it with anyone.
- Never letting your card out of your sight when paying at a shop or restaurant.
- Not providing any personal information online unless it's on a website that can be trusted.
- Not providing personal details telephonically without verifying the credibility of the source.
- Making sure you have strong passwords for your banking, e-mail and online shopping profiles.
- Not opening e-mails from people you don't know.
- Not clicking on suspicious links on social media platforms.
- Shredding letters or documents that contain your personal details.
Are you covered?
It is quite possible that someone can get hold of your credit card details and run up large debts in your name.
Identity theft is just one of the possible scenarios in which personal liability insurance cover could come in handy.
Santam personal policyholders enjoy standard liability cover up to R5 million. Speak to your insurance company or broker to find out if you're covered.