Santam Marine is the largest maritime insurer in Africa, with an extensive footprint throughout the continent. We insure a wide range of marine risks and also boast an array of technical and reinsurance support services. Whether you own a small private craft or run a multinational company, we have the expertise to tailor-make, and advise you on, the most appropriate products for your specific needs.
Our expert knowledge and capability in this unique field means that we have a detailed understanding of the risks associated with your business, which could range from ship damage and maritime construction risks, to natural catastrophes and piracy, to name a few. Our specifically-designed cover is therefore designed to offer maximum protection for your business.
WHY INSURE WITH SANTAM MARINE?
- We are Africa’s largest marine insurer in terms of product range and footprint, providing technical and reinsurance support to various African insurers.
- Our superior, tailor-made solutions cover all modes of transport – by sea, air, road and rail, both locally and internationally.
- We offer a world-class claims service.
- Our global network of specialised surveyors and loss adjusters is skilled in the assessment of loss and the pursuit of recoveries against third parties, where required.
The benefits of insuring with us
Santam is the insurer of choice for thousands of South Africans countrywide. We help you be safe and stay safe – everywhere you go. If you need four more reasons to choose Insurance good and proper.Learn more
Our range of solutions provides cover for
Santam Marine offers a wide range of marine insurance products. We aim to provide an offering that will meet and exceed your expectations.
This form of cover combines the insurance provided under marine cargo, goods in transit, as well as storage of stock into a single product offer. The Stock Throughput Policy offers end-to-end cover starting from the supplier’s factory extending to covering all modes of transport, including any storage warehouses worldwide, to final delivery.
Marine cargo (includes imports and exports)
There are numerous risks associated with marine cargo that could result in partial damage or complete loss. It is therefore essential to ensure that you are covered for this risk. Essentially Marine Cargo covers:
- Physical loss or damage to all cargo being imported or exported locally and/or internationally.
- All transit legs locally and/or internationally.
- Project cargo which can be extended to include delay in start-up under an advanced loss of profit policy.
Transit and related liabilities
There are numerous risks associated with goods being moved or transported, for both the owner and the carrier of the goods. You, therefore, need to ensure you are adequately covered for these risks.
Goods in transit
There are numerous risks associated with goods being moved or transported, for both the owner as well as the carrier of the goods. You therefore need to ensure you are adequately covered for this risk.
Our Goods in Transit Cover is suitable for clients who need insurance for local transit; it covers goods transported via sea, air, road and rail.
Hauliers and transporters
This section is suitable for hauliers that are responsible for moving cargo, who might not necessarily own the goods that are being transported.
This provides cover for:
- Goods in the care, custody or control of a carrier, either under contract or under common law. This section is set up to cover the risks associated with loss or damage to the cargo.
Hull (includes commercial, fishing and pleasure craft)
Vessels of all shapes and sizes are subject to extreme conditions and risks, and therefore at Santam we understand and appreciate the importance of providing adequate cover for such risks.
You are able to select a policy option that covers total loss, and which allows for the adding of various extensions depending on the age and value of the vessel concerned.
Damage to your vessel could have devastating effects on your business that you did not plan for.
This policy caters for fishing vessels, diamond recovery vessels, and charter vessels which are used on a commercial basis.
You have the option of choosing a policy that covers total loss only, right through to various extensions depending on inter alia the age and value of the vessel concerned.
We also offer a wide range of cover for all types of pleasure craft. Our cover takes into account the use of the vessel in inland waterways (i.e. rivers and dams) as well as coastal waters through to deep sea fishing and international yacht racing.
Cover can also be extended to include numerous liability requirements if needed.
Marine Liability covers you in the event that you or your employees are held legally liable:
- Ship Repairer’s Liability, which covers liability for vessels and other third-party eventualities (including bodily injury) arising from repairs and/or building operations.
- Containers’ Liability, which covers liability arising from the operation of containers for third party personal injury and property damage.
- Marina Operator’s Liability, which covers marina operators against claims from damage to vessels while in their care, custody, and control.
- Stevedore’s Liability, which covers against third-party property damage and bodily injury as a result of a vessel being loaded and/or unloaded.
- Charterer’s Liability, which covers liabilities assumed under a charter party, primarily hull damage and protection, plus indemnity, and risks.
- Freight Forwarder’s Liability, which covers freight forwarders against claims in the event that they are held liable for physical loss or damage to a customer’s cargo.
What is marine insurance?
As early as the 12th century, transporters of goods between ports around the world have had to insure their property against perils associated with travel on the high seas.
Types of marine insurance
Marine insurance covers risk at sea (ocean marine) and on land (inland marine).
- Johannesburg: 011 912 8000
- Johannesburg Quotes: email@example.com
- Cape Town Quotes: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Durban Quotes: email@example.com
- Port Elizabeth Quotes: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marine Claims: email@example.com
- Marine Head: firstname.lastname@example.org