With more than 40 years of experience, Santam has established itself as South Africa’s leading aviation insurer. Our expertise and commitment ensure you can always count on us when you need us most. Because much like South Africa’s best pilots, we have earned our stripes through years of experience. We make sure that every aspect of your risk is adequately covered. This means you get peace of mind knowing your aircraft is financially covered should something go wrong.
Why insure with Santam Aviation?
- We’re the market leader. Our extensive knowledge in aviation insurance means you get high quality, comprehensive cover for almost any type of aircraft. Our commitment to exceptional service gives you value-added customer support when you need it most.
- We are knowledgeable and with over 40 years in the industry, we fully understand your risk profile and insurance needs.
- We’ve streamlined our administrative and claims processes so you get paid out as quickly as possible.
- We are financially stable. We are backed by Santam’s reputation and solvency.
The benefits of insuring with us
Santam is the insurer of choice for thousands of South Africans countrywide. We help you be safe and stay safe – everywhere you go. If you need four more reasons to choose Insurance good and proper.Learn more
Our range of insurance solutions:
We insure a wide range of private and commercial aircraft, including:
• Corporate aircraft
• Experimental aircraft
• Agricultural aircraft
• Rotorwing aircraft
• Non-type certified aircraft
• Drones (private and commercial)
• Charter operators, private owners and recreational flying
Limits of indemnity
• Aircraft Hull All Risks (comprehensive or ground risk only cover) limit of indemnity $1 875 000.
• Aircraft Hull War Risk limit of indemnity $1 875 000.
• Third-party legal liability cover and/or third-party, and passenger legal liability (combined single limit) up to $10 000 000.
• Excess insurance (pilots, students/private/professional pilots and owners).
• Aircraft owners and operators liability.
A decade ago few could’ve predicted just how much our lives would be enhanced by little bugs in the sky. Drones now play an important role in many types of businesses, and the development of drone technology has resulted in a multi-billion dollar global industry. In South Africa, drones are used extensively in farming, in wildlife management to save dwindling animal populations, in maintaining power lines, monitoring traffic and providing security surveillance of assets in remote parts of the country.
Guidelines private and commercial drone operators need to know
As drone technology became more available to the general public, the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) recognised the need to govern the industry. It introduced the Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Regulations, which came into effect on 1 July 2015. These regulations provide clear guidelines for the operation and use of drones for two types of drone operations:
- Private operation: A drone may only be used for the individual’s personal and private purposes, with no commercial interest or gain. Private drone operators are required to adhere to all the statutory requirements relating to liability and privacy and any other law enforceable by a relevant authority, and they need to act responsibly in the operation of such equipment.
- Commercial operation: Defined as any other use, and has to be a registered operation operating in terms of Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Regulations.
To secure the appropriate short-term insurance cover, private and commercial drone operators must adhere to the laws applicable to the use and operation of these unmanned aircraft.
Comprehensive drone cover from Santam
In response to the growing popularity of drones, we have developed an insurance product that provides the full spectrum of cover for drone owners and operators within the private and commercial space. The Santam Aviation policy offers full and comprehensive cover for the drone, whether it is in operation or not. This includes comprehensive third-party cover – the limit of which clients can decide for themselves.
Take advantage of our depth of expertise by contacting us and see how we can take care of all your aviation needs in a fast, hassle-free manner
T: 011 912 8264