Santam Ltd (“Santam” or “the group”) is a South African company listed on the JSE Ltd (JSE) since 1964 under the insurance (non-life) sector. The company was founded in 1918 and our headquarters are in Cape Town, South Africa. Santam effected a secondary listing of its shares on the A2X Markets exchange on 1 February 2019. Santam is a subsidiary of the South African financial services group, Sanlam, which holds 61.5% of Santam’s shares.
This integrated report (the “report”) reviews the financial year for the 12 months ended 31 December 2018 (the “reporting period” or the “year”). It covers general insurance and investment operations, and applies to Santam Ltd and its subsidiaries, which make up the Santam business portfolio:
Tips for our readers
- Santam’s performance over the long term (a period of seven years), according to key performance indicators, is set out in the Seven-year review.
- Details regarding reporting frameworks; guidelines and standards; content assurance; and reporting elements can be found under About this report.
For more information, please visit www.santam.co.za.
Please share your experience of reading this report by emailing us on: email@example.com
Reporting frameworks, guidelines and standards
This report was developed with due consideration of the following reporting requirements and principles:
- King IV Report on Corporate Governance™ for South Africa, 2016 (King IV™) 1
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Companies Act, 71 of 2008, as amended (the Companies Act)
- JSE Listings Requirements
- International Integrated Reporting Council’s (IIRC) Integrated Reporting <IR> Framework
Copyright and trademarks are owned by the Institute of Directors in Southern Africa NPC and all of its rights are reserved.
This report may contain forward-looking statements with respect to Santam’s future performance and prospects. These statements relate to, among others, gross premium growth levels, underwriting margins and investment returns. These statements represent our judgements and future expectations. Risks, uncertainties and other important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from our expectations. Forward-looking statements apply only as of the date on which they are made, and Santam is under no obligation to update or revise any of them, whether because of new information, future events or otherwise.
The integrated report was reviewed by the audit and the social, ethics and sustainability (SES) committees. The reviewed report was recommended to the board, who approved it on 27 February 2019. On this basis, the board is satisfied that the report addresses all material matters, whether positive or negative, and offers the necessary substance for the providers of financial capital to make considered evaluations about the performance and sustainable value creation ability of the group.